|~~ Your FamilyChest Document ~~|
|Title:||Manor Court Document|
|Date:||24 August 1849|
|Good consistent with age. There is a stain on one fold but it does not affect legibility|
|Parchment : 1 sheet 60cm x 32cm with revenue stamp and signed by the Steward of the Manor|
|Summary of contents:|
Charles NAPPER of Sidlesham, Sussex. Blacksmith.
Lucy COBBY (formerly Lucy MOUNTFIELD) of Birdham, Sussex, wife of Matthew COBBY. Yeoman.
James Bennett FREELAND of Birdham, Sussex. Steward of the Manor.
This is a document of the Manor of Birdham Broomer, Sussex, which records an out of court grant by the Lords of the Manor to Charles Napper.
We are told Charles Napper holds a number of parcels of copyhold land in the Manor but his tenure is during the natural lives of Lucy Cobby and William Challen Davey (or whoever lives the longest of the two).
The terms of his tenure are now being changed to include the natural life of his son Harry Napper (now aged 15).
The property consists of:
1. one barn and a small close adjoining
2. a parcel of 1 acre in Tin Field
3. 5 parcels totalling 2 acres in the Great Common Field of Birdham
4. 5 parcels containing 1 acre in the Little Common Field
5. 2 closes called Gibbs Croft totalling 4 and a half acres with 2 messuages hereon.