|~~ Your FamilyChest Document ~~|
|Date:||27 January 1866|
|Good consistent with age. Note that the cord binding the pages together has broken.|
|Parchment : 8 sheets 36cmx x 3cms with 4 wax seals and signatures. NB This is described as a "Duplicate Assignment" and has no duty stamps so presumably it is only a signed copy of the genuine contract|
|Summary of contents:|
Rt Hon Annabel Elizabeth Countess of Pomfret.
William BLACKBURN of Sidmonton Villas, Bray, Ireland. Esquire.
William James THORPE of Lincolns Inn, Middlesex. Barrister.
Rev Edmund HOLLAND of Hyde Park Gardens, Middlesex.
Rev Alfred PEACHE of Downend near Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Alexander CUNINGHAME of Craigend, Renfrewshire. Esquire.
Robert Cooper Lee BEVAN of Lombard Street, London. Esquire.
Thomas Neill (deceased) of Turnham Green, Middlesex. Esquire.
This is a long document relating to a parcel of land on the North side of Halkin Street, Parish of St George, Hanover Square, Middlesex, with Belgrave Chapel. It begins with a series of 20 'whereas' clauses relating the history of the property in the previous 50 years.
It starts with a 99-year lease being granted to Thomas Neill in 1812 "in consideration of the costs and charges which the said Thamas Neill has been put to in erecting the Chapel thereinafter mentioned. Thomas Neill died in 1828 having appointed Joseph, Ann and Elizabeth Neill, together with Archibald Reid as executors.
In 1832 a William Thorpe aquired the residue of the lease for £7100. He died in 1865 having appointed his wife Annabel, Countess of Pomfret, his son-in-law William Blackburn and his son William James Thorpe as executors and trustees. These three are now selling the lease to Edmund Holland, Alfred Peache, Alexander Cunningham and Robert Bevan for £7000.
The document is signed by the four purchasers.